8th October 2021
Friends of Houghton Primary School held their AGM on Tuesday 5th October. There was much to celebrate from the past year with FoHPS raising over £3,000 for resources for the school - which is an amazing achievement in a pandemic! The committee were thanked for all their hard work over the last year before they stepped down and a new committee was nominated and voted in as follows:
Chair: Rachel Brench
Vice Chair: Vicky Turnball
Secretary: Sally Snow
Treasurer: Hannah Willard
1st October 2021
Goodness, where has the last month gone! It has whizzed by in school! We are so pleased that our Robins are now in school full time and are so proud of them for a fantastic start to their school life.
Our Harvest Festival last week was a huge success. We are so grateful to everyone who contributed a donation for Godmanchester Food Bank. The Food Bank were overwhelmed - the donations filled their van to the brim!
We are delighted that our grant application for a Tesco Community Grant has been successful. Mrs MacLennan is leading a fantastic project to develop the Chapel Lane end of the the school grounds called 'A Space to Grow'. Any funding we gain from this grant will go towards this endeavour to improve the space for our children. You can help us by 'voting' for us by putting blue tokens into the collection boxes in Tesco stores in Huntingdon, St Ives and Stukeley Meadows. Please share this with your friends and families and ask them to support us too.
Sadly, we are unable to hold events on the school site at present. Friends of Houghton Primary School have rearranged their AGM to be held online on Zoom on Tuesday 5th October at 7.30pm. Please email to get the link (details in the email sent to all parents and carers).
23rd September 2021
We currently have a vacancy for a school cleaner. Please see job advert for more details.
17th September 2021
We have had a really great start to the school year. It has been lovely to open the school more fully to the children so that they can play together at playtimes and lunchtimes. It was also wonderful to be able to let parents back on site after 18 months.
We welcomed two new teachers this term. Mrs Hobley joined us in Reception class, teaching on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays. Mrs Pooley joined us in our Year 3 class, teaching on Thursday and Fridays. It has been fantastic to welcome them to the team.
We have had a few visitors to the school in the last two weeks, including Mr Duncan from the Local Authority who came to see how the school is getting on in an Annual Monitoring visit. He visited classes, spoke to children and staff and spent time with Mrs Young. His feedback was wonderful;
- Lessons are inspiring and teachers and support staff show excellent levels of care and attentiveness to pupils’ needs.
- The school’s curriculum continues to be broad, rich and engaging.
- The school is successful because its vision and ambition are shared by the whole community.
- Pupils are very positive about their learning.
- The provision for pupils with additional needs is superb.
We also had a very unusual visitor on 10th September. A tiny Pipistelle bat found its way into our Key Stage 2 assembly. Mrs Smith and Mrs Grant took action, carefully putting it into a box and calling the Cambridgeshire Bat Group who came and took the bat to their centre. They looked after 'Maria' (the name they gave our bat) for just over a week, nursing her back to health before bringing her back to the school area to release her. https://www.facebook.com/100002231990685/videos/378873927278996/
22nd July 2021
School broke up today for the summer. We had a special assembly in the morning to say goodbye to;
- Mrs Ferret, who is going on maternity leave. We wish her all the best in the coming weeks when her baby is due and for the coming months while she is on leave with her family.
- Miss Furness, who is leaving us to begin a teacher training course. We know that Jasmin will be a fantastic teacher and wish her all the very best for her training and career.
- Mrs Rae, who is leaving us to join Houghton and Wyton Pre-School where she will continue to do an amazing job in supporting children.
- Mrs Williams and Mrs Davison, who are both leaving us to spend time with family. We wish them both well for the future… both have said they will be coming back to Houghton Primary to help out whenever we need them!
Our Year 6 children led their ‘Leavers’ Assembly’ in the afternoon to an audience of parents and carers. Each child shared talents and skills, entertaining us all as they performed in their last event at our school. They are leaving us to join 7 different secondary schools in September. We know that they are leaving us ready – full of confidence, independence and as great learners. We wish them all the very best for their futures.
School is now closed for the summer. We re-open to the children in Key Stage 1 and 2 on Thursday 2nd September. Our Reception children will be joining us over the first 3 weeks of term.
Have a wonderful summer everyone.